• Places: New Orleans, Louisiana
    • Format: hardcover, 144 pages
    • Publisher: Crown
    • Series: Crown Journeys Series
    • Release date: February 1, 2005
    • ISBN: 9781400046454 (1400046459)
    • Genres: travel, humor, history

About The Book

“Betcha I can tell ya / Where ya / Got them shoooes. / Betchadollar, / Betchadollar, / Where ya / Got them shoooes. / Got your shoes on your feet, / Got your feet on the street, / And the street’s in Noo / Awlins, Loo- / Eez-ee-anna. Where I, for my part, first ate a live oyster and first saw a naked woman with the lights on… Every time I go to New Orleans I am startled by something.”

So writes Roy Blount Jr. in this exuberant, character-filled saunter through a place he has loved almost his entire life — a city “like no other place in America, and yet (or therefore) the cradle of American culture.” Here we experience it all through his eyes, ears, and taste buds: the architecture, music, romance (yes, sex too), historical characters, and all that glorious food.

The book is divided into eight Rambles through different parts of the city. Each closes with lagniappe — a little bit extra, a special treat for the reader: here a brief riff on Gennifer Flowers, there a meditation on naked dancing. Roy Blount knows New Orleans like the inside of an oyster shell and is only too glad to take us to both the famous and the infamous sights. He captures all the wonderful and rich history — culinary, literary, and political — of a city that figured prominently in the lives of Jefferson Davis (who died there), Truman Capote (who was conceived there), Zora Neale Hurston (who studied voodoo there), and countless others, including Andrew Jackson, Lee Harvey Oswald, William Faulkner, Tennessee Williams, Jelly Roll Morton, Napoléon, Walt Whitman, O. Henry, Thomas Wolfe, Earl Long, Randy Newman, Edgar Degas, Lillian Hellman, the Boswell Sisters, and the Dixie Cups.

Above all, though, Feet on the Street is a celebration of friendship and joie de vivre in one of America’s greatest and most colorful cities, written by one of America’s most beloved humorists.

Also available as a Random House AudioBook

Paperback Feet on the Street Roy Blount Jr. download on iOS on Amazon. EPUB book Feet on the Street. Hardback ebook Feet on the Street buy for reader on Book Depository. MOBI ebook Feet on the Street by Roy Blount Jr. read online. TXT book Feet on the Street by Roy Blount Jr. download iPad on Books-a-Million.

Online Feet on the Street read. FB2 Feet on the Street Roy Blount Jr. buy cheap on Bookshop. FictionBook ebook Feet on the Street on PC. MP3 book Feet on the Street Roy Blount Jr. buy on Dymocks. Hardcover book Feet on the Street download for iPhone.

#4116 返信

sound-weib

Music in Every Room: Around the World in a Bad Mood by John Krich • 9780871131942

2件の投稿を表示中 - 1 - 2件目 (全2件中)
返信先: Feet on the Street — audiobook download
あなたの情報: